California Car Accident Lawyers
Is Car Accident Lawyers Representation Important For My Case?
People always want to know if hiring California car accident lawyers is important for their California auto accidents or personal injury case. The truth is that those who get the best settlement usually have experienced California car accident attorneys representing them.
Studies conducted in 2016 revealed that there were more than 490,000 car accidents in California. These resulted in 3000+ deaths and nearly 280,000 injuries. The state has the dubious distinction of accounting for 12% of auto accident related deaths in the US. California is a “fault” state, meaning that all compensation claims are to be filed against the at-fault party’s insurers. This is achieved by filing a personal injury claim against the at-fault party with the help of an experienced California car accident lawyers.
Unfortunately, “accidents” aren’t always “accidental.” A large majority of them are caused by someone’s fault or negligence. And a California car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve. Car accidents, for instance, could be caused by:
- A drunk/drug-impaired driver
- An aggressive or distracted driver
- Poor road-conditions/Defective or malfunctioning vehicle
- Bad weather
- Poor visibility
- Badly-maintained roads
- Failure to obey traffic regulations
These events, no matter how major or minor, leave a trail of destruction in their wake. Victims may sustain serious injuries, life-altering disabilities, and disfigurements. Apart from this, they and their families face a long and rough road ahead, where they face enormous physical, financial and emotional trauma and losses. Under California laws, motor-vehicle accident victims and their families are entitled to seek compensation for their losses.
Reasons To Hire California Car Accident Lawyers
Legally speaking, there’s no rule that says you have to hire a lawyer to pursue a compensation claim, especially if the damage is minor and no one is injured. However, when there are serious injuries and victims face taking time off from work, incur large medical and rehabilitation expenses, experience extended pain and suffering, it’s wiser to get the right legal advice and assistance to get the maximum possible compensation.
Most car accident claims are settled out-of-court through negotiations, but in case talks fail, your California car accident lawyer can take the case to trial.
How exactly does hiring California car accident lawyers to benefit you?
- Handling insurance companies: Most of us believe that insurers and claims-adjusters who make the compensation payout will act in good faith. However, in reality, insurance companies being for-profit organizations tend to focus on their own business interests. They may use a variety of tactics to delay/deny/dismiss/dispute your claim. Routing all communications/negotiations through experienced California car accident lawyers ensures that your rights and entitlements are protected.
- Building a robust claim: Your claim must be backed by reliable and decisive evidence that establishes the Negligence-Accident-Injury-Loss chain. As an individual, you may not have the knowledge or resources to gather evidence, access police/traffic records, collect documentation or CCTV footage, assemble eye-witnesses and compile expert testimony. A reputable, well-established law-firm can do this while you focus on recovering your health.
- Getting the facts and figures right: Your present and future needs must be considered in your claim. Experienced California car accident attorneys can evaluate your claim and ensure that all the losses you suffered are covered in your claim document.
- Knowing the procedures: Ordinary citizens may not be aware of the legal procedures, paperwork required, filing deadlines, venues, and jurisdictions etc that make a claim valid and admissible.
- Safeguarding your rights: Insurers may attempt to extract information from you/your family that could jeopardize your claim. They may ask for recorded statements, promise quick and easy settlement, mount surveillance, try to get access to your confidential information etc. Your California auto accident lawyer can guard you against these intrusions.
Types of California Auto Accidents
Every accident is unique just like the circumstances that caused it. Though there’s no way to ensure that you will never be involved in an auto accident, knowing more about them helps drivers to be more alert and careful while on the road.
The most common types of accidents include:
Head-on collisions: These are the most serious and often result in fatalities and the vehicle being totaled. If both vehicles were traveling at high speeds, there would not be enough time for the airbags to deploy or other safety features to be effective. Apart from other vehicles, head-ons can involve stationary objects, animals, trees, buildings etc.
Multi-vehicle pile-ups: are most common on expressways, freeways, highways and busy commuter thoroughfares. Often unwary drivers are caught between two vehicles, passengers get thrown in the path of oncoming vehicles, vehicles jump dividers and can burst into flames.
Rear-enders: These accidents are the most frequent types of accidents on American roads. They happen because the vehicle behind fails to maintain a safe distance from the one in front. They’re often caused by distracted or inexperienced drivers.
Side-impact or T-bones: happens when a vehicle crashes into the side of another. They occur at intersections or when a vehicle runs a red light. Passengers on the side that bears the impact can be seriously injured or killed.
Types Of Damages You Can Get Financial Settlement For
Every accident in California is unique, just like the injuries that collision victims sustain. Some of the losses that you can claim financial recovery for include:
Economic Damages: Any expenses that can be backed by bills/invoices/documents for personal and property damage: Medical and rehabilitation expenses, ambulance fees, out-of-pocket expenses, accessories (crutches/wheelchair etc.) physiotherapy/cognitive therapies, caregiver services, loss of income/employment, etc.
Non-economic Damages: These are injuries done to the quality of life you enjoyed prior to the accident. The settlement depends on the circumstances of each individual case. Claims include pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of companionship/consortium, disability/disfigurement, psychological problems etc.
California Injury Statute of Limitations
Most states, including California, impose a limit on the time allowed for injured parties to file compensation claims. This is known as the statute of limitations.
In California, car accident and other personal injury compensation claims must be filed within two years of the incident. For property damage, the limit is three years. If the accident involves a government entity (state, local, federal) the statute of limitations is six months. You can file an appeal within six months if the at-fault party denies your claim.
For medical malpractice claims, there is a one-year limit from the time of discovering the injury or three years after the date of injury, depending on which comes first.
It’s essential to file your claim early, otherwise, you may lose your right to file a suit and miss the opportunity to get the compensation you and your family deserve. However, it’s also wise to wait until the full nature and extent of your injuries are clear to make a more accurate claim. Settling too quickly for a meager amount defeats the purpose.
An experienced California car accident lawyers in California can begin working on your case right from the beginning, so that evidence is not lost, destroyed, forgotten or misplaced. We ensure that your claim is made well within the prescribed deadlines.
California Comparative Fault Law On Car Accidents
In certain cases, car accidents are caused by fault on both sides. Many people avoid making a claim if they feel that they were partly to blame for the accident.
However, under California’s pure comparative fault or comparative negligence provisions, injured persons can still get compensation even if they’re found to be partially responsible for the accident.
Based on the evidence, a judge/jury can decide the level of responsibility of each party. The amount of award is proportionately reduced by the victim’s own portion of fault.
Contingency Fee Arrangement For Car Crashes
No matter what your economic status, you have the right to pursue a compensation claim. Many California car accident victims avoid legal recourse because they feel it’s an expensive process. However, most personal injury lawyers take up claims on a contingency fee arrangement. This means that they charge fees only if they win the case. The typical arrangement is between 25 to 45 percent. Remember to negotiate it.
California car accident lawyers typically offer a free, initial, no-obligation consultation to all injured accident victims. This allows you to explain the facts/circumstances of your case, understand your rights and entitlements and become aware of the options available.
It also enables California car accident attorneys to evaluate your claim and give you a genuine, swift and comprehensive assessment on the merits. Based on this consultation, clients can decide whether to hire this particular lawyer/law-firm, go ahead with the claim, or seek another alternative. Call us to be connected with our network of car accident lawyer for a free consultation today.
Connecting You With Car Crash Attorneys All Over California
Our goal is to help you get connected with California car accident lawyers or auto accident attorneys all over the state who might be able to help you get the justice that you deserve. So if you are looking for any of the below types of lawyer contact us.
- Los Angeles Auto Accident Lawyer
- Santa Barbara Auto Accident Lawyer
- San Bernardino Auto Accident Lawyer
- Ventura Car Accident Lawyer
- San Jose Auto Accident Lawyer
- San Francisco Auto Accident Lawyer
- Fresno Auto Accident Lawyer
- Glendale Auto Accident Lawyer
- Pasadena Auto Accident Lawyer
- Orange County Auto Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Auto Accident Lawyer
- Oakland Auto Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Auto Accident Lawyer
- Long Beach Auto Accident Lawyer
- Bakersfield Auto Accident Lawyer
Helpful External Links For The State Accident Victims
Before speaking with or when you hire one the top California car accident lawyers, the following resources might be helpful as an accident victim.